8/29/13

Lifting

Last week I found myself inspired (during a thunder storm) to make parallels between strength training with the body, and strength training with the mind.  I found the combination to be poetic, personal, and spiritual.  Below you will find my account of the experience.  I hope you find it useful and inspiring.  May we all find the way to peace and happiness.

I was surrounded by two nebulous dust clouds; my hands, two dragons that spit hot chalk onto cold steel for grip. My biceps like fattened reptilian bellies, contracting and stretching. Sweat beading down my brow like red army ants responding to an intruder. I was on my 5th set of Deadlifts. I was preparing mentally, for a lift I had NOT committed myself too successfully, since the age of 25! I was staring down 495 pounds like if I was David, preparing for Goliath.

The gym went silent. Huge grey clouds gathered outside; lightning; then thunder. I lean in, and take one last deep breath. My lungs seemed to take an eternity to fill, taking long enough for my heart to hesitate. Hesitate, like yesterday, when a young boy at work searched for my name, and instead called me, Tio? (For your information that means Uncle.) I was stunned at his choice of words. I hesitated to respond. This was the same boy, who just the other day, I reprimanded, for not looking after his little sister, and leaving her alone. Why was he calling my Tio? What did this mean? I searched for answers in what seemed to take hours, but it was only a fraction of a second. His innocent eyes waited patiently for my recognition. The innocent heart within me experienced great trepidation.

The little boy in me is like a samurai. And my recognition of his words would be like a contract. Needless to say I did not take the boys words lightly, at all. It was as if I was getting a promotion, a new unofficial title. I took a deep breath, and bowed my head in silent recognition to the little boy. He seemed relieved, and I felt I had increased my own inner worth. For now I would be even more committed than ever before, to being a noble example to this young man for as long as my health lasts. Now, I have only to live up to his words.

All these thoughts rained over my mind this morning, in what must’ve taken only a second. My lungs were full, my mind gladdened, and my body rapturous. I grabbed hold of the weight firmly in my rough hands. Lightning struck synchronously as my legs pumped like pistons, contracting intensely! I dropped the weight. The thunder followed in applause. I completed my lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment