9/4/13

Mental Training


I grew up having a negative body image for various reasons.  I was also kept secluded, away from most other children.  This made it so that playing sports was simply not an option for me.  I did not have the social skills or the physical ability to compete with my peers.

I gravitated to strength training, because it was something that I could do alone, something that would give me confidence, a positive body image.  Over the years it became a spiritual experience.  The act of confronting a physical challenge always requires that you have your mind in order and focused.  This led me to have an immense respect for discipline.  How else could I keep lifting heavy weight?  Training the body became my way of life.

I’ve attained many things from my enthusiasm for fitness.  Not all of them good.  I am, unfortunately prone to being intoxicated with stories about myself.  “I can do what others can’t.  I have something that others don’t.”  Or the reversal of which is even more common for me.  “I can’t do what other can.  I don’t have something that others do have.” Either of which is conceit.  No to mention how much it depresses me to recognize that one day, In the not so distant future, I will not be able to sustain my fitness efforts or my body in its current condition.


How can I produce a life of profound value?  What challenge can I commit to that will satisfy my deepest yearnings?  What is there left for me to do?  The only thing left is to train the mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment