9/13/13

Balance


It is very interesting how the mind works.  I usually do NOT post when I fail to observe the 8 precepts on Uposatha days.  I think it’s due to embarrassment, and a sense of not wanting to celebrate by sharing my thoughts of the day or week.  Needless to say, I failed to observe all the 8 precepts.

Yet, thanks to Ajahn Sarayut Arnanta, I began to realize that I was not seeing the whole picture.  My mind has a tendency to dwell on the things that I have not accomplished, ignoring all of the things that I have accomplished.  Although, I had failed to observe on one day, my Practice is something I am doing to change how I live and find happiness.  This practice is nothing short of life changing, when we hold it right.

Instead of beating myself up over the one Precept I have trouble following for one day.  I should review how much of my life has changed and improved overall.  Where is it that my life has settled easefully into the gifts of the practice?  Recognizing my accomplishments will only serve to sustain my inner wealth and happiness.  This is after all, not a practice of extremes, but of moderation; The Middle Way.


My fitness and strength goals have naturally settled me into following 7 of the 8 precepts during the work week, Monday through Friday.  I find that following the 7 keeps me strong and has improved my strength dramatically.  However, my appetite has also increased due to new and heavier workloads.  This makes it very challenging to hold the food precept with kindness.  Yet, if the overall goal is to change how I live my life, I am still doing that, which takes more than just one day to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment