1/4/13

Raistlin


When I was growing up I was exposed to old school (pencil and paper) Role-Playing Games, or RPG’s.  I remember my brother telling me stories about a fictional character from a book called Dragonlance.  He was a physically weak character that usually had his burly brother protect him.  However, Raistlin, as the character was called, eventually became the most powerful magic user in the series.

There were many things that made Dragonlance interesting to me.  The most significant to this passage was Raistlin’s eyes.  He had hourglass shaped pupils that would only allow him to see living beings in a state of decomposition!  This was part of the price he had to pay to achieve such incredible power.

Although I don’t have any interest in magic or ruling the universe, I do aim to conquer my own defilements.  I have been on a roll with seeing the body “with both eyes” since I last observed Uposatha.  Today as I was observing (a day before the calendar date) I started to see the act itself as a game.  This caused me to eventually remember Raistlin and the stories my brother told me as a child.

Surely if I had hourglass eyes, I wouldn’t need any reminders on the teachings of impermanence.  But I am not a fictional character in a story.  I’m also really glad I don’t have to see everyone in a constant state of decay.  Instead, the effort and mindfulness I put into my practice will give me unimaginable power over myself.  Allowing me to relate to our world “with both eyes” and arms open.

No comments:

Post a Comment