1/11/13

Mr. Grey



Even now as I steadily train on new values and habits, I still suffer.  Very old Karmic seeds that I’ve consistently planted and nurtured begin to ripen.  I try with great difficulty to find wholesome pleasure within, as a cruel thief comes to steal it away.  He is the antagonist of all the healthy narratives within my mind.

Mr. Grey is a character that I created to personify my own mental experiences with aversion.  He is the character that I sometimes use in performances to entertain, and frighten the audience.  He is everything I don’t like about the world, and myself.  More terrifying still, he was born out of the joy I often find myself taking, when I cause myself suffering.

Meditation and observing Uposatha has forced me to take a long hard look at what I had for so many years avoided.  I just couldn't believe or admit that the reason I was suffering was because I had become friendly with being cruel to myself.  Picture trying to make sure you don’t suffer from a headache, by hitting yourself in the head with a sledgehammer instead!

Teacher has me cultivating skillful pleasure within, by creating new values to replace old ones.  I can sense it’s starting to work, and my life is improving as a result.  But Mr. Grey has me pushing “More-more, faster-faster.”  When that happens (like it has been all day today) I just notice that inclination, try to replace it with a skillful one, or just have compassion for myself.  After all, there is no one else to blame but me.  Yet, that also means the power to change lives in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment